From the Cutting Room to the Orchestra Hall
Featuring David Ice, Harp
September 9, 2018 – 3:00 PM
Scottsdale Presbyterian Church – 3421 North Hayden Road at Osborn Road
Family Friendly – Free Admission – Audience Participation
The Unusual Journey of the only Hollywood Film Editor who became an Orchestral Harpist
1. WIND BENEATH MY WINGS –honoring my teachers, and Jack Nebergall
2. Explanation of how I came to the harp: Grizzly Adams, and Adine Bradley
3. Bach PRELUDE IN C
4. Move back to LA and 20th Century-Fox, and Marjorie Call; sight reading orchestra parts
5. MOONLIGHT from The Fantasticks
6. Gail Laughton and TILL THERE WAS YOU
7. Harpo Marx and Gail Laughton TAKE ME OUT TO THE BALL GAME
8. Explanation of Hollywood Scoring from HARPYWOOD
9. Switching from Classical to Pop: MY FUNNY VALENTINE
10. Some contemporary harp music William Lloyd Webber ROMANCE
11. Explanation of how the harp works; pedals, etc.
12. Sacred Music: FANTASY FOR HARP by Malcolm Arnold
13. Concerto: BAROQUE FLAMINCO
David M. Ice began his harp studies in 1978, and has studied with Adine Bradley, Mildred Dilling, Marjorie Call-Salzedo, and David Watkins. A film editor by trade (his Hollywood credits include over 65 feature films and six years of the TV series M*A*S*H ), David started harp lessons in his mid-twenties as a relaxation therapy. He never intended to play the harp professionally, but fate has taken him in this direction. He is currently principal harp with the Musica Nova Orchestra, North Valley Symphony, and the Prescott Pops Orchestra. He has performed with the Phoenix Symphony, Opera El Paso, Symphony of the West Valley, Flagstaff Symphony, Prescott Chamber Orchestra, Arizona Opera, Arizona Theater Company and many shows with TheaterWorks. David has been a guest lecturer at the Royal College of Music in London as well as Dublin, Ireland and Adelaide, Australia, and all over the United States. In addition to his harp work David also continues to work in videotape editing and production.
As far as he can tell, he may be the only person who has simultaneously been a Hollywood film editor and a professional harpist.
He lives in Glendale, Arizona with his four dachshunds, “Coney Island Hot Dog”, “CC” (short for Chili Cheese Dog), “Ootsie” (short for Onions On The Side) and “Delaney” and a huge video editing computer.